Wednesday, November 25, 2009

+J


I simply adore Uniqlo. Some might identify the moderately priced, youth-oriented brand as Japan's answer to the Gap but the two are far from congruent. The vibrant colors, uber-soft fabrics and excellent styling of Uniqlo garments really suit me even if some of the clothes do not fit -- sleeves too short, waist in the wrong place and other complications that I won't go into here. That said, the vast majority of my Uniqlo purchases have made it onto my 'favorites' list and they get frequent/constant air time.

Take Heat Tech. This product -- a line of extremely thin but remarkably effective thermal undergarments -- is pure genius. I have no idea what Heat Tech is made of but I live in these turtlenecks and camisoles all winter long. This year the company even introduced a few striped versions! Too much of a good thing? Oh, I don't think so.

Recently the company launched its +J line designed by none other than the German fashion great Jil Sander. On a recent visit to the brand's 5-story Ginza emporium I scored a +J jacket that is already destined to become a staple in my wardrobe. Unencumbered by padding or lining, it has a simple A-line silhouette rendered in a sturdy, synthetic fabric that sits comfortably on top of a sweater and accommodates the basic layered strategy I adopt during Tokyo's autumn and even winter (aside from those two wickedly cold weeks at the end of January when I try not to go outside). Jet black, my new purchase matches everything in my closet (I AM making a feeble attempt to break away from the monochrome palette favored by architects worldwide). The grosgrain ribbon outlining the zipper is a particularly appealing detail. But it was the collar that clinched the sale. Thanks to said zipper, the collar can be worn closed for a chic, funnel-shaped neckline or opened to perfectly frame whatever is going on underneath. Very adaptable and very flattering if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment