Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Eggcellent Easter



On Sunday I went to services at a lovely church about an hour west of Tokyo. The purpose in attending was not spiritual fulfillment (wrong religion) but an Architectural Record assignment. A modest structure made of wood, the building contains a wonderfully meditative chapel bathed in soft daylight. I was very impressed but I won't go into detail here. For my critique, you will have to visit the magazine's web site (http://archrecord.construction.com/) in the coming months. If you visit now, you will find my feature on Tree House, one of this year's Record Houses.

After the service concluded, I mingled among the congregants. Most of the regulars are over the age of 65. One kindly gentleman prepared Easter eggs for everyone and one of the few children, a girl of about 10 years, was entrusted with their basket and distribution. Swaddled in a cute little wrapper adorned with bunnies and topped with a ribbon, the egg I received was your basic hard-boiled. For this reason I chose not to eat mine but preserve it for posterity with these pictures instead. Now if chocolate had been involved, the little egg might not have survived the journey back to Tokyo.


No comments:

Post a Comment