Sunday, November 7, 2010

Book!


Take a gander at this chair. At a glance, it is reminiscent of the metal framed Butterfly Chairs we had in the Beverly Shores house during my youth. Those were created in 1938 by a group of Argentine architects who trained with Le Corbusier. But this one was made by a young, Italian designer I met at Tokyo Designers Week. Aptly named "Book,", this new chair consists of a ream of fabric sheets that flip like the pages of Webster's Dictionary. In lieu of the usual upholstery underpinnings, a steel rebar frame and legs support the layers of recycled (I think) denim, burlap, cotton, corduroy, wool, etc. This unique construction has a lot of built-in flexibility. Simply by turning the chair's cloth pages, the user can change its cushion's color to suit any mood or occasion. Just think of all the dog fur we would not have to vacuum up! I am not able to comment on the chair's comfort or utility (I did not test it out) but I applaud the author's clever idea. That said, it will take some editing to turn Book into a bestseller.

No comments:

Post a Comment