Friday, April 1, 2011

Stone Ornament Chicago Style

Walking the dog in Chicago these past couple of weeks has been a new and delightful experience that has filled me with a fresh appreciation of the city and its architecture. Pippi and I have traversed streets that I had not been on in decades. And the dog's gentle pace paired with her sniffing breaks have given me plenty of chances to take a closer look at the buildings. This city is a treasure trove of 19th and early 20th century architectural ornament -- stone, metal and wood. It really is everywhere. Follow me while I take you on a little tour of some of our recent masonry discoveries.


At the Reynolds Club.


On 58th Street.


Critters.


A bat.


A doorway lintel.


Gothic-inspired window trim.


A window sill.


A stair stoop.


At the hospital.


Scissors and forceps at the former Lying-In Dispensary.


A window frame.


A portico.


Another portico.


A door frame.


A decorative plaque.


Another decorative plaque.


And, finally, back to the Reynolds Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment